Teutonic Castle Alden Biesen ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช Grand Commandery of the Teutonic Order, Belgium

3D Binaural Sound 4K UHD

ย  Click CC in video to activate subtitles

Extra info

๐—ข๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—น ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜€๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐—–๐—– (๐˜€๐˜‚๐—ฏ๐˜๐—ถ๐˜๐—น๐—ฒ๐˜€) ๐ข๐ง๐œ๐ฅ๐ฎ๐๐ž๐.
๐—ฅ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐—ป ๐Ÿฏ๐—— ๐—ฏ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—น ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ผ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜€๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ฑ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐˜„๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ.

Hello dear scene walkers
Today i take you to the city of Bilzen, Limburg, Belgium.
More specifically the Grand Commandery Alden Biesen.
Once one of the most prestigious headquarters of the Teutonic Order.
The Teutonic Order, a German Catholic religious military society.
Founded in 1190, during the Third Crusade in Acre, Kingdom of Jerusalem.
Its purpose was to provide military protection to aid Christians on their pilgrimage to the holy land and to establish hospitals.
However, in 1244 Jerusalem fell to Islam, the Teutonic Order shifted its priorities to the Baltic Sea region.
In the peak years, Alden Biesen controlled 12 other commanderies in the region.
To find out how Alden Biesen originated, we have to go back to the year 1220.
Arnold III, Count of Loon, donated a chapel with lands to the Order, known as Biesen (now Rijkhoven, Bilzen).
Biesen takes its name from the “bies” plant species in the area.
The Order of Knights built outbuildings around the chapel for the care of pilgrims.
Thanks to the income from cash and donations from wealthy landowners, Biesen thus grew into the headquarters of the Bailiwick of Biesen.
Receiving Grand command of 12 subordinate commanderies in the area.
Biesen lost its Grand status in the 14th century to the new Commandery of Nieuwen Biesen (New Biesen), located near Maastricht, Netherlands, thus becoming known as Alden Biesen (Old Biesen).
In 1543 the Teutonic Order returned to Alden Biesen.
The moated castle was built and completed in 1566.
It was the beginning of a 200-year construction site, in which each new Grand Commander left his mark on the development of the Grand Commandery.
The baroque-style church was completed in 1638 and replaced the old medieval chapel.
French gardens were created around the year 1700.
The last and final addition was the English park garden, laid out in 1787.
In 1794, the Teutonic Order fled the region because of the revolt of French revolutionaries and incorporated the area into France.
In 1797, Alden Biesen was auctioned to the public, after which a lottery draw decided its fate.
Alden Biesen quickly declined as the new owner did not have the resources to manage it.
In 1971, the last owner managed to set fire to the moated castle.
After which the Belgian state purchased the building complex and underwent a major renovation process.
Alden Biesen rose from its ashes and became one of Belgium’s most famous tourist attractions.
Today Alden Biesen is a cultural center of the Flemish Community.
Almost the entire domain is free to visit, but to really get to know Alden Biesen, a guided tour is a must.
Thanks for watching, hope it was interesting and until the next scene.
~Sevy

How much did you enjoy this?

Average rating 0 / 5. Total voters: 0

Be the first to cast a vote.

Comments

Join the discussion

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments